The magical bestseller: a classic story to read again and again.
- Winner of the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize 2017
- Winner of the British Book Awards Children’s Book of the Year 2017
- Shortlisted for the Branford Boase Award
- Shortlisted for the Jhalak Prize
Beautiful, thrilling and magical, Sunday Times bestselling-author Kiran Millwood Hargrave’s critically-acclaimed first novel is a modern classic.
‘Absolutely loved it from start to finish’ TOM FLETCHER
‘I read it, I loved it’ MALORIE BLACKMAN
‘Kiran Millwood Hargrave creates a spellbinding world of magic, myth and adventure’ EMMA CARROLL
Forbidden to leave her island, Isabella dreams of the faraway lands her cartographer father once mapped.
When her friend disappears, she volunteers to guide the search. The world beyond the walls is a monster-filled wasteland – and beneath the dry rivers and smoking mountains, a fire demon is stirring from its sleep.
Soon, following her map, her heart and an ancient myth, Isabella discovers the true end of her journey: to save the island itself.
- A beautifully written, multi award-winning story of friendship, discovery, myths and magic for any age – perfect for fans of Philip Pullman, Frances Hardinge or Katherine Rundell
- From the author of Julia and the Shark and The Mercies, chosen for the Richard & Judy Book Club
- Set in an extensive and stunningly-imagined parallel world imbued with magical realism
- A gorgeous gift with intricate star-chart illustrations throughout – a present for young and old, which will stay with you long after reading
‘One of those timeless stories that feels like a real myth’ SAMANTHA SHANNON
‘FANTASTIC!’ CARRIE HOPE FLETCHER
‘Absolutely stunning’ CATHERINE DOYLE
‘So beautiful and magical’ PIERS TORDAY